blob: 88335040339cec2e9cc8c6e0aba9e1327450c6a2 (plain
Release Notes; upgrade information mainly.
Features/major bugfixes are listed in NEWS
* The python namespace for portage has been sanitized, all portage related code
is now contained within the portage namespace. External script should be updated
accordingly, though links exist for backward compability.
* Depending on the number of packages installed, users may notice a difference
in the time taken for dependency calculations. This performance penalty is
due to the addition of important new features which include the ability to
detect reverse blockers, the building of a complete dependency graph, and the
ability to use installed packages to satisify dependencies even after their
ebuilds have been removed from the portage tree.
* emerge does not necessarily update build time dependencies that are not
strictly required. See the --with-bdeps option in the emerge(1) man page.
* emerge --search doesn't use regular expressions now anymore by default, so
emerge --search dvd+rw-tools now works as expected. Regular expressions can be enabled
by prefixing the search string with %.
* emerge --depclean algorithm is much safer than the old one.
* emerge --newuse detects changes in IUSE that previously went undetected.
* new cache framework, breaking all old cache modules.
If you're having problems with portage_db_cdb, this is likely the cause.
* USE flag output ordering has changed. The old ordering is now an option
by the name of --alphabetical. Adding the option to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
in make.conf will restore the old behaviour permanently.
* The deprecated --inject has been removed, use /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
* The deprecated --upgradeonly has been removed, use /etc/portage/package.*
* 'emerge sync' has been deprecated, use 'emerge --sync' instead (same
for other actions)
* Tools that call emerge should override the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS environment
variable or use the emerge --ignore-default-opts option.
* rsync option handling has been redesigned, instead of RSYNC_* variables
use PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS from now on.
* autouse (use.defaults) has been deprecated by specifying USE_ORDER in make.defaults
Users may still turn this back on by specifying USE_ORDER="env:pkg:conf:auto:defaults"
in make.conf. Interested in figuring out what use flags were turned off? Check out
/usr/portage/profiles/base/use.defaults and other use.defaults files that correspond
to your profile.