summaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
blob: 834b8430b824ea9af25f3668ef3e02a080853ec0 (plain)
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122
123
124
125
126
127
128
129
130
131
132
133
134
135
136
137
138
139
140
141
142
143
144
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
[03:01:02] <antarus> antarus, b-man robbat2 prometheanfire alicef ping
[03:01:10] * b-man here
[03:01:12] <antarus> Please roll-call with aye
[03:01:16] <prometheanfire> o/
[03:01:17] <b-man> Aye
[03:01:20] <prometheanfire> aye
[03:01:24] <antarus> aye
[03:01:31] <alicef> o/
[03:01:38] <alicef> aye
[03:02:34] <antarus> we have quorum
[03:02:40] <antarus> agenda is here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Meetings/2019/12
[03:02:49] <antarus> who is logging?
[03:03:02] <prometheanfire> I'll log
[03:03:06] <antarus> thanks
[03:03:46] <antarus> old business
[03:04:26] <antarus> Taxex update: I don't see robin here
[03:04:59] <antarus> we have filed for 4 years and we have the bill for those, but are still working out how to pay online vs check
[03:05:02] <antarus> taxes*
[03:05:55] <antarus> We last heard from teh accountant on 12/9, with updated instructions
[03:06:17] <antarus> any questions about taxes?
[03:07:39] <antarus> ok moving on
[03:08:02] <antarus> The accountant had also discussed with us making a new org, vs keeping the existing org
[03:08:37] <antarus> I believe this was with the goal of creation a tax-exempt non-profit, as there was some thought that making the existing organization tax-exempt could be difficult given its age
[03:08:44] <antarus> creating*
[03:08:51] <b-man> Yes, that is correct.
[03:09:22] <antarus> if we made a new org, do we have any idea who would be on the board?
[03:09:38] <prometheanfire> or where it'd be formed?
[03:09:44] <antarus> (there is some straightforwar feedback that it is unlikely the entire existing board would join the new organization)
[03:09:50] <b-man> I believe we would keep any board members currently still in office
[03:10:16] <b-man> but I believe that ensuring a CPA is retained is crucial before considering a new org or keeping the existing
[03:10:38] <antarus> are you unhappy with the CPA we have currently?
[03:10:46] <prometheanfire> not necessarilly, they'd remain as board members for the old foundation
[03:11:01] <b-man> antarus: This is not what I mean.
[03:11:31] <b-man> antarus: I believe it is crucial to retain a CPA (this one is fine) to do books. Otherwise, we give it a few years and we are back to where we started regarding finances.
[03:12:07] <b-man> prometheanfire: antarus: I specifically asked this question to the CPA before. Current board members can reside over both as one is dissolved and the other is stood up.
[03:12:12] <antarus> right
[03:12:16] <prometheanfire> b-man: yep
[03:12:19] <antarus> I'm stating that i would not join the new board
[03:12:29] <prometheanfire> ack
[03:12:41] <antarus> part of my concern is that there are not enough humans to keep a board solvent
[03:12:44] <b-man> We just need to ensure the electorate has their representation should we keep a non-profit
[03:13:04] <antarus> I'm looking for some guidance on how we can improve that situation
[03:13:08] <alicef> antarus: some strightforward feedback from who?
[03:13:29] <b-man> antarus: We can lower the board member requirement dependent on state.
[03:13:37] <antarus> alicef: I believe that myself, prometheanfire and robbat2 are not willing to be board members for long term
[03:13:38] <prometheanfire> what is the min required?  iirc we are larger than needed
[03:13:46] <antarus> the min in NM is 3
[03:13:57] <antarus> I'm not sure about other jurisdictions
[03:14:05] <b-man> I also believe that most shy away due to the finance piece. Some are too worried about being held responsible.
[03:14:05] <prometheanfire> ya, I can help out depending on how involved it is, it just, depends
[03:14:22] <prometheanfire> ya, limited liability
[03:14:35] <alicef> antarus: I would like to listen from them their own decision
[03:14:47] <antarus> well robbat2 isn't here, so its hard to say ;)
[03:15:03] <prometheanfire> I'd say I could remain secretary for the time being
[03:15:14] <antarus> from my POV I'm unlikely to vote on a transfer of assets to some new entity without some idea that there will be people to run it
[03:15:21] <antarus> a 2 person board doesn't please me much
[03:15:38] <antarus> (I may also continue to look into the umbrella thing but my level of care is only so much.)
[03:15:39] <b-man> antarus: agreed with transferring.
[03:15:46] <alicef> I'm ok on take up on secretary duties, in case is needed
[03:15:47] <prometheanfire> has anyone reached out to umbrellas now that taxes are being sorted?
[03:15:57] <antarus> I was hoping we would have had them paid by now
[03:16:00] <b-man> My largest concern of a board is by-laws impacting how Gentoo proceeds in the future
[03:16:01] <antarus> and we will still owe penalties
[03:16:10] <prometheanfire> antarus: ya, no one wants our money
[03:16:13] <antarus> I was going to reach out in Jan anyway
[03:16:16] <antarus> haha
[03:16:28] <b-man> s/board/umbrella
[03:17:04] <b-man> Allowing a broader umbrella electorate to determine policies or legalities within Gentoo concerns me.
[03:17:30] <b-man> If anything, we keep the current by-laws and AoI's and let the council run the distro as (I think) we all agree.
[03:17:40] <antarus> haha, I bet its as concerned as the existing Foundation intrudes on gentoo policy ;)
[03:17:53] <alicef> b-man: I agree with b-man suggestion
[03:18:12] <b-man> antarus: Sure, some people could try to be elected and intrude on things such as council territory, but I don't think this is likely.
[03:18:14] <prometheanfire> b-man: they don't want it :P
[03:18:38] <b-man> prometheanfire: Who doesn't want what?
[03:18:43] <alicef> who don't want it ?
[03:18:51] <prometheanfire> council doesn't want to run the foundation
[03:18:59] <b-man> prometheanfire: This is not what I mean.
[03:19:12] <b-man> To me, there is a clear delineation of responsibilities.
[03:19:19] <b-man> We pay bills and ensure any legal pieces are taken care of.
[03:19:21] <b-man> Council runs the distro
[03:19:27] <prometheanfire> right
[03:19:28] <antarus> I think b-man
[03:19:43] <b-man> no need to go tell council how to do their job.
[03:19:44] <antarus> b-man's concern is that we go to an umbrella and the umbrella change sgentoo policy
[03:19:47] <antarus> like making us use github ;p
[03:19:56] <antarus> or changing our logo
[03:20:00] <b-man> antarus: Sure, or accepting a certain license we don't agree with
[03:20:11] <antarus> well the license thing is odd right
[03:20:18] <b-man> but that is my concern...
[03:20:18] <antarus> nominally that is within the current board's remit
[03:20:26] <prometheanfire> we'd have to work out those details before doing it
[03:20:36] <b-man> antarus: yes, and we can work with the electorate and council to ensure we find a good solution
[03:20:47] <antarus> and you think the umbrella will not?
[03:21:02] <b-man> antarus: yes, they would, but we will be competing with other projects.
[03:21:06] <b-man> e.g. Apache etc
[03:21:14] <antarus> I see
[03:21:18] <antarus> Its a risk certainly
[03:21:27] <b-man> So the e.g. SPI board is responsible to many others than just Gentoo
[03:21:37] <b-man> I believe this is why Linux Foundation has concerns with umbrellas
[03:22:05] <b-man> As stated though, we must ensure the finance piece is contracted out
[03:22:06] <alicef> antarus: is a real risk
[03:22:13] <antarus> I *am* a real risk ;)
[03:22:36] <antarus> ok I don't want to spend the entire meeting on this
[03:22:39] <prometheanfire> right now we are just wondering about things that may not exist, I say we move on
[03:22:46] <b-man> yes please
[03:22:47] <antarus> in terms of next steps we need to pay the taxes
[03:22:54] <b-man> Trying to finish Ant Man with the boy :)
[03:23:08] <antarus> we can table future discussions until Jan?
[03:23:14] <antarus> unless we are in a rush to decide?
[03:23:28] <b-man> antarus: There is more to deciding that. So, yes table.
[03:23:37] <b-man> Maybe start a good discussion on -nfp
[03:23:40] <antarus> tabling
[03:24:03] <b-man> and we need to pay the man still
[03:24:12] <b-man> So, we got a few weeks for the holidays to pass
[03:24:27] <antarus> b-man: did you get a response from the USWG chair about our UEFI registration?
[03:24:34] <b-man> antarus: crickers...
[03:24:38] <b-man> crickets*
[03:24:45] <antarus> everyone at intel must be on vacation
[03:24:55] <antarus> doesn't mattst88 work there? :)
[03:25:06] <antarus> maybe we can get him to bump them
[03:25:07] <b-man> I think he still does graphics there
[03:25:35] <b-man> antarus: pinged matt in PM
[03:25:38] <antarus> ok
[03:25:54] <alicef> ok
[03:25:58] <antarus> due to the upcoming .org sale to ethos capital we renewed our domains for the next 10 years
[03:26:08] <alicef> any motion to vote today?
[03:26:13] <antarus> none that i know of
[03:26:27] <antarus> the agenda is mostly empty, I was going to do a brief pass of bugs and then open floor
[03:26:32] <alicef> is only bikeshedding meeting ?
[03:26:37] <alicef> ok
[03:26:39] <antarus> lol
[03:26:57] <b-man> domain is good
[03:26:58] <b-man> push...
[03:27:00] <antarus> (I think most of our meetings are bikesheeding ;p)
[03:27:20] <b-man> Ant-man is learning his skillz
[03:27:34] <alicef> antarus: nice for renewing domains
[03:27:45] <antarus> We have some upcoming expenses in calendar 2020 (switch, caddies, etc.)
[03:27:55] <alicef> gentoo calendar?
[03:28:02] <alicef> we are selling it ?
[03:28:08] <alicef> :)
[03:28:15] <antarus> anything for https://bugs.gentoo.org/695360 ?
[03:28:19] <b-man> alicef: Yes, a Gentoo calendar, you will be Ms. April
[03:28:37] * antarus can be Dr. May
[03:29:14] <antarus> I think for that bug I need to check with mgorny
[03:29:25] <antarus> I was hoping to resolve it with a brief discussion
[03:29:28] <antarus> anything for open floor?
[03:29:37] <prometheanfire> non
[03:29:55] <b-man> I am not sure we could force them to change the metadata
[03:30:07] <b-man> So, likely, need to play nice
[03:30:20] <b-man> as Roy kind of alluded too
[03:30:52] <b-man> nothing for open floor
[03:31:01] <b-man> antarus: bang that gavel!
[03:31:09] <antarus> i mostly want avoid the cost of an actual patent attouney ;)
[03:31:11] <antarus> attourney8
[03:31:12] <antarus> bah
[03:31:14] <antarus> anyway
[03:31:17] * antarus gavels
[03:31:19] <antarus> meeting adjourned